Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
My quest to write the ultimate quest! by Jessica Tooze is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Based on a work at capturethedodo.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://capturethedodo.blogspot.com/.

Shall we begin?


They do say that every journalist has at least one crappy novel in them, and I guess the same is true of me. So to get it out of my system, and to stop myself from going mad while doing the research for it, I have created this blog to give myself a nice little creative outlet (ok its really to stop me from talking to myself all the time while I think up what my novel is going to be like). I have this idea in my head, about an epic historical voyage, a Dutch painter, and the dodo. I can't wait to get started, but I don't want to write anymore just yet, as I have quite a lot of pondering to do first.

History is probably my favourite source of inspiration; I like many other writers can manipulate it, twist it to suit our own sadistic purposes (!) - maybe its lazy writing a book this way? Really, it gives novelists a chance to answer those 'what if?' questions. For example, what if Vermeer's painting Girl With a Pearl Earring really had been inspired by a purist young maid working in his household? What if her features really did set fire to his imagination? The book itself, written by Tracy Chevalier, as some of you may have guessed, has given me a source of inspiration. I can't get the Dutch painter out of my mind. This one isn't quite like Vermeer though, and his journey takes him far away from Holland, to a place where he will ink himself into history - our history.